Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ode to April

Boy, it's been a LONG time since I posted on this blog of mine and yes, I blame it entirely on this pregnancy. As my cousin so lovingly implied there is nothing enticing about dragging my "kankles" and my sciatica-ridden buttocks to sit at the hard, hard computer chair to make an inventory of my pathetic life. But, I can't let this favorite month of mine go by without at least one entry. So, I have hijacked Cory's laptop (an idea that never occurred to me until now) and am sitting on my soft, very worn-in couch with my feet propped up and the Thursday night NBC primetime lineup going on in the background. Seriously, now that I have come up with this new writing scenario you can expect many more posts from this very expectant, but at least comfortable for now, mom.


April has always been my favorite month. Just the word sounds like spring and flowers and exciting things coming around the corner. I always deemed it a privilege to be born in the month of April and secretly felt sorry for those who had the unfortunate circumstance of being born in the less exciting months of say, June or August. But this has been the craziest April we have had since say I was taking finals and planning a wedding 9 years ago, so in order to play catch-up I will utilize the bullet method and summarize what we have been up to:

  • My two kids and I traipsed over to Oakdale, CA for a reunion with my roomie, a place to hang while watching conference, for fabulous food cooked by chef Carolyn, and a little birthday celebration.
  • I have reached the ripe old age of 32 celebrated by a pedicure, a rootbeer freeze from A&W, and driving 2 hours to come home to Cory, a babysitter, and a hunt for decent Mexican food.
  • After a day of recuperation from the Oakdale trip, the 3 of us got back into the car for a gruesome 8 hour trip to San Diego for Alex's Spring Break.
  • Met up with my parents (Marmie & Bapa) and two of our favorite cousins (Adam & Tyler) for a great reunion with Shamu at SeaWorld. Boy, have we missed that place.
  • While I was away, 3 fabulous friends made our third bedroom/office into an actual baby's room -- something I could never do on my own. What a treat!
  • Cory and I went to see "Wicked" in San Francisco. A third time for me and a first for Cory. Well worth the trip into the city, the frigid walk to the theater, being hustled by homeless people at the Carl's Junior we were forced to eat at in lieu of a romantic dinner, and the life-time servitude we owe to our friends who watched our kids for 6 hours so we could go.
  • Alex mastered the two-wheeler with limited help from us, proving that, as always, Alex will master all milestones in his own way and when he darn well wants to.
  • I have well passed the recommended 25-30 pound weight gain with 6 weeks to go
  • I have endured many well-intentioned comments like: "you look like you're ready to pop!" and "Are you sure the due date is right?"
  • We have added and subsequently deleted the names Elliot, Garrison and Ash to our baby name list. We are in a real stupor about this one.
  • I have succumbed to every annoying pregnancy ailment and discomfort that keeps me up all night and keeps me down all day. This is the first time I have actually wanted a baby to come out before its time.

Well, that's April in a nutshell! Wish me luck as we embark into May -- the last full month before life changes forever.

3 comments:

The Florist said...

Now that's what I'm talking about! I know you did a new post out of the kindness of your heart, what with feeling pity for yours truly. Tear. It's not so bad being elected as the newest Chairwoman of the Deserted Wives Club. I'll take your pitty...and your posts because we both know I need a new hobby to make the time pass quickly. And blogging at midnight is as good a hobby as any. Right? So keep those laptop posts a'comin. Heaven knows they won't be coming in another few weeks.

Melody said...

I've missed your posts, Kelli. It sounds like you had quite a month! Hang in there a little while longer!

ashtonclan said...

I still can't believe you made that trip all the way down here by yourself! We sure enjoyed having you and the limited partying that was able to take place.