Saturday, October 11, 2008

Back to Reality!

I've officially fallen off the wagon. I had such a good routine going. Our home was like a well-oiled machine. People were fed, bathed, and to places on time. I was on top of the laundry and the dishes, nothing was too piled up and I found time to exercise in the morning and relax in the evening. All that has changed. I don't know if the falling off occurred due to my weekend trip to San Diego, my incessant reading of the last book in the Twilight series or a combination of the two. But, it has happened. My once clean sink (at least first thing in the morning and right before bed) has turned into a dumping ground for all that's dirty and I have only washed that which was necessary out of it. My exercise routine of going to the Village gym 3 days a week has turned into 3 minutes of jump 'n jacks during the commercial breaks of The Biggest Loser (Jillian said it was better than nothing.) And the weekly menu that I created for the month and used for one week has turned into anything last minute that requires a heaping of ketchup to taste decent. And the weekly blog writing has turned into hours of reading other people's more interesting and harmonious blogs and playing mindless computer games. I know that the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. So, next week I'll dust off that dust-pan and try, try try again.



My trip to San Diego was a success. After seeing the great price on Southwest to fly in-state it was hard to turn down an opportunity to go. And Cory practically dared me to do it -- so I did. I traveled to San Diego by myself with no purpose other than getting out of town and enjoying time with some old friends. But now that I'm officially homesick for San Diego, was it worth it? Yes it was. And because we learn a little more with each new experience, this is what I learned through my recent travels:


  • Southwest is a dream airline to fly on when you are alone. The cattle-driving line up was transformed into the ice cream square on my way to a fiesta in Dora's Candyland. The service of cran-apple juice and peanuts was like a full-course meal and the waiting area seats in the airport felt like a luxurious cloud to rest my weary head. Traveling is so nice when you are not the quintessential example of unruly children/exasperated mother of which I am accustomed to being.
  • Which dessert is the best at Claim Jumper? Well, after trying them all in one night at one table I can honestly say that The Brownie Finale is my favorite. I love that everything is fat-free on vacations.
  • And it is so much better being mistaken for a Senior in high school than being mistaken for a senior citizen. (No, little Drew, I am NOT your grandma.)
  • The Jamba Juice on Carmel Mountain Rd. in San Diego is tops in customer service. Did you know that they will make you flavors that are NOT on the menu? Well, I do. And if we had stayed there long enough I think they would have created a new flavor named after me....How does "Kelli's Caribbean Cooler" sound?
  • And there were tons of new things I learned about my friends and many, too many things they learned about me while playing "Loaded Questions." But as long as you don't use it against me, thanks for the laughs, Misha, Mamy, and Darcene!!
  • The Gap jeans that used to be my favorite are not my favorite anymore after wearing them for 3 days in a row. Fashion takes a hit when you are trying to travel with only a carry-on.
  • Pedicures and nail polishes are not meant to last for 3 whole months (the amount of time I've been away from SD.) So I should probably realize I can A) find a place up here to have them done or B) do it myself.
  • And finally, San Diego still feels like home. We'll see if we ever get back there!

Well, on to a bigger and better week and Back to Reality!! My "to do" list has grown proportionately to my procrastination, but I think I might be up for the task. "Breaking Dawn" is over, thank goodness! (nice resolution and all, but way too time-consuming) and I had my week of recovery. Monday here I come!!

9 comments:

Erica said...

See, traveling really is your "thing"! I am impressed that you got away for a little girl/kid-free rejuvenation! Good luck getting back into the swing of things...and let's hear it for Southwest! I gotta go do my dishes...

Mindy said...

Oh Kelli - I love your blog! And this single entry alone had me laughing and laughing. (You're right - reading others much more interesting and harmonious blogs is much funner than the list of chores needing to be done...) So a quick summary - I'm so glad you got away! Kudos to your hubby. I love your new hair color. You can definitely be mocha #7. And finally, I'm so glad you're a Twilighter! And I'll just share this very obvious secret with you - that's the reason your house is in disarray. Now that you're done, life will resume normalicy, I promise. :) (Until the movie which will keep us up until all hours of the night!)

melissa said...

Hello Kelli... I hit the jackpot with Melody and Niki's blog... I have been able to find so many wonderful girls from way back when. You had me completely enraptured in reading your blog... I just loved it. Looking forward to many more. :)

Britney said...

I'm with Mindy! My house was a disaster, kids unfed and unfit, me...a mess, husband...what husband? :) = I was reading Twilight!

What a fun trip! I know the feeling of flying alone, what a vacation! Just the flight alone is a big vacation for me!

Melody said...

What a fun getaway! But I still insist that AZ is "home" (Please?)

Jana said...

Hi, Kel!
I'm sitting here with Mom & Alli in my Family Room. We're having fun. Where are you? Mom wanted to know how to comment on a blog, so we're trying it out! I loved the post about Claire and the hair. Talk to you soon!

Dana Fallentine said...

Hi Kelli! Very cute blog1 Now I can see what you are up to!

Amy said...

Kelli - You crack me up. I love your blog... you blog just how you talk. It was so much fun to see you and hang out. You are truly missed!
Love you - Mamy :)

Kadee said...

We miss you around here! It was fun to see you!