Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

All my family is busy playing a new round of the game BLOKUS and I have escaped to the back bedroom/converted office. I am not a fan of games that don't require much interaction. In fact, I prefer games where the whole object of the game is to interact. Games that require a long duration of stratagem leave me bored and frustrated within the first 5 minutes. I want a game where my whit and charm are assets, not distractions. Someone said we were going to play "4 Men on a Couch" and then nothing happened. So I came to the place where my occasional bouts of whit and charm are actually appreciated by you, my cyberspace audience. Lately I haven't felt witty nor charming, so that would be the real reason I haven't written in a while. In fact, I think the term to express my current state of mind is "cranky-tired" a term used most often to describe an overstimulated toddler, but is, in fact, a true description of my current self.

So, on to more pressing matters.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Here we are in the midst of about to be 11 cranky-tired kids (which would be another reason I have escaped to the back bedroom) trying to bring this new year in right. And this little bit of quiet time has caused me to reflect on the past year and all our accomplishments:
  • We moved 3 times in 4 months -- a feat I wouldn't wish on anyone
  • We were homeless the whole month of July -- which made moving into our teeny, minuscule new abode a little less foreboding
  • Claire somehow potty trained herself in the midst of all the chaotic moving -- and anyone who knows my history with potty-training our Alex knows that I had no hand in this accomplishment
  • Alex started kindergarten -- finding a new passion for letters, numbers, and, of course, Monarch butterflies
  • We made the metamorphosis from a normal, job-holding, income making, two car, medically insured family into the new unemployed, full-time student, one car, state funded insured family
  • Cory thrived and the rest of the family survived the first semester of graduate school
  • Cory found a passion for rugby and mass transit transportation
  • Kelli has actually seen the light in the advantage of getting 5 loads of laundry done at one time
I remember coining the phrase "We'll do great in 2008" at this time last year and now I know that was way too high an expectation. I am glad to say I feel less pressure with the new phrase "We'll be fine in 2009!" I think we can accomplish "fine." "Fine" is right up my alley.

So our goals in 2009, you ask? Well, without consulting any member of my family, here are my projected goals for them:

Claire: Learn to be a more independent girl so she can be a BIG help and be more willing to share her "momma"

Alex: Learn to be a little more self-entertained and not so much of a bullying big brother

Cory: Find a great internship this summer that won't take him too far from home and will also allow him to take some time off, especially in the month of June

Kelli: Stop being so cranky-tired -- I am in my second trimester after-all. Yes, baby #3 is on its way!
Surprise!!

16 comments:

Becky and Brian said...

Congratulations! Hopefully we can see each other soon!

Lisa said...

Congrats Kelli!
I am in my second trimester as well. I am 20 weeks and in just the past few days have felt like doing some of the things I should have done over the past 3+ months.
Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy!

Heather Collins said...

Wow!!! That is awesome! Congratulations Kelli.

I have to tell you that I love reading your blog. You have such a nack for writing. Keep us blog stalkers posted with all the baby buzz. That is so super.

Heather Riding Collins

Britney said...

Congrats on the babe! Really exciting for your family!

Love the goals for 09...and you are not cranky!!! Everytime I see you, you are smiling from ear to ear!

JoAnn said...

What!!! You failed to tell me this in our 2 minute phone conversation we had last week!!! Congratulations! I am so excited for your new adventures you will have in 2009. I just wish things wouldn't have been so crazy and we could have gotten together over christmas. We will be out that way in April for a wedding. Hopefully we can connect then. Will you have a new baby by then? Wow. If it wasn't 10:20 California time I would sooooo be calling you. :)

Erica said...

How about "Everything's Divine in 2009"? I do like "fine", however, and I like that it can take on a different meaning, depending on the tone that you say it with. Really, with "fine" I guess all of your bases are covered...passive, passive aggressive, assertive. I know this would make more sense if you could hear my voice as I am saying it. Oh, and of course...without further ado...we LOVE Baby #3 already!

Kadee said...

Congrats Kelli!

Unknown said...

congratulations on baby #3. This is exciting news.

The Colman's said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so so excited for you guys! You'll have to keep us posted on how the pregnancy is going. Oh and I think we all know now why your "cranky-tired" awww the joys of being pregnant :-)
And yes I totally agree with just FINE in 2009 I am definitely on board with that! I am glad 2008 is a ting of the past it was horrible!

Happy New Year!

~Niki

KristiCollins said...

I'm such a good secret keeper! This time anyways. You've inspired me, Kelli! I'm now an official blogger. And, for the record, I'm totally flattered to have made my way to fame in being included in your November post. That was a fun, albeit very wet, adventure in the si-tay! Here's the link to my very novice blog: jeffandkristicollins.blogspot.com Congrats on the wee-Wiltbank coming your way!

Elizabeth Willis Barrett said...

Kelli, I had no idea you were in the computer room blogging while the rest of us were trying to entertain everybody. I really wanted to play 4 men on a couch and could not make it happen. Directing 22 people is very hard work. We are so glad you came and wish you would turn right around and come back! Have a delightful time at Disneyland. That is exactly what I wish I could do tomorrow!

grandmadebbie said...

Congrats... Would love to see you again. Give those kids a big hug and kiss for me and that mean big kid also.. Love Aunt Debbie

Ali B. said...

Congrats! I am very happy for you!

KatieB said...

congrats!!! i'm so excited for your new bee-bee and hope all goes well. you will survive the schooling. someday, you might even miss the state paying for things...

The Smith Family, Just Kiddin' Around said...

YEAH!! I am so happy for you! Sorry you are so tired, I'd take your kids any time if I could.... We need to catch up, your phone number is still missing.. love, Katie

Amy Langford said...

Kelli- I missed you a few weeks back when you visited San Diego and apparently I missed this huge marker in your life. 2009 will be more than fine because new life is quite sublime! When is the due date???