16 days and counting until our new little guy joins our family. The fact that 2 people in our ward and another kindergarten mom all due after me have already given birth to their babies have left me feeling quite over-ripe. But even though I am no longer sleeping and I can hardly walk across our bite-sized apartment without getting winded, there is something to say about how much easier a baby is to take care of inside one's body than outside of it. But the crib is up, the bedding is on, the onsies have been washed, and the necessities have been supplied. All we need is Baby Buster to complete the picture. And although all appears to be ready it was not an easy task to get to this point. I am not a nester, never have been. I have heard the folklore of the rush of energy that comes to expectant mothers that drives them to heights of organization and craftiness, but in my experience it is just folklore. And if I had not had my early signs of labor there is no way my hormones would have kicked in on their own to create what is now in the baby's room. It was sheer panic that a new human being belonging to me will need a place to set up camp that allowed me to get as far as I have in my preparations. And although I might think we are fully prepared, I know there will be those late a night runs to Target and Walgreen's that will supply the rest of what I have forgotten. What!?! no rubbing alcohol for the obligatory umbilical cord wipe down? Run to Walgreen's. What?!? the blow up baby bathtub I purchased is pink? Exchange it at Target. What?!? no chocolate to get me through the late nights and the endless days? Run to Costco for a vat of peanut M&M's. Now we're talking.
And I know you've all been dying to see just how big I got with this here pregnancy:
Oh, wait a second -- that's not me. It's just how I feel these days. But in all fairness to this beautiful manatee, I feel more like a beached whale.
There I am at 36 weeks. Don't let the cheesy perma-grin fool you.... my feet ache, my knees creak when I walk, I have sciatica, my diaphragm is so scrunched up I can't get a lung-ful of air, I have long since abandoned my wedding ring due to swollen knuckles, the acid reflux is nauseating, these are the only pants that I can fit into, and if you make me laugh or cough or sneeze I'll have to change into my red snowflake pajamas -- isn't pregnancy beautiful?
And for all those natural birdies out there who build and primp their nests with or without a helpful dose of hormones, just picture how much more difficult it is for those of us beached whales who struggle through all the blubber to even get to the tree. We do what we can.
7 comments:
This was great to read!! Thank you Kelli! Good luck!!!
Yeah, but you have great hair! Those prenatal vitamins are clearly doing the job. Thanks for the laugh. We're rooting for you! Arr, arr, arr, arr, arr.
You may feel like a beached whale, but you surely don't look like one! Good luck-- I'll be checking in often for news!
I hear you sister - the problem is after 5 babies I have to change into my brown snowflake jammies every time I sneeze or cough without crossing my legs. Oh and note to self - don't jump on a trampoline after having babies. Does no one tell us these things??? Not that it would change a thing it might have saved me the initial shock factor.
By the way, you look fabulous!
You crack me up!!!! June is here, so the real countdown can begin!!!!
You're hilarious. I wish you were here so we could have been pregnant together. I was surrounded by all these skinny pregnant women!! Yes, I love Alicia Milne but note to self....don't stand side by side when you are both prego. Good luck!!
kelli, you look great. hope all is going well. don't stress on the lack of nesting. things work out. i am in sd right now and missing you! we are headed to sf in late september though, maybe we can catch up then!
Post a Comment