Things we've gotten used to:
- The train -- we hardly ever notice it anymore unless it's right when we're trying to fall asleep and the horn blares for a continuous 30 seconds until it fades into the distance.
- Not having a dishwasher -- I really never expected to get used to washing all things by hand, but there's something very soothing about the white noise of the running water and the fact that I'm left alone for a half hour because nobody wants to help me with the dishes. Occasionally I find a spot on my glass (or some dried-on food on the bottom of a plate) and it's a little disconcerting that the blame can't be placed on an appliance -- I am the appliance!
- Being a ONE car family. Cory can probably count on both hands the number of times he's ridden in a car since we first moved here. He takes the city bus to and from school every day, bless his heart! And, thanks to the close proximity of the school, park and any friends' house, I rarely drive either.
- 1002 sq ft of living space. When we first arrived here I thought it would be impossible to function rationally in such tight quarters, but we have survived. And as long as I remember this is TEMPORARY and our family doesn't grow, it will be fine.
- Not having a washer and dryer! The laundry room is just 2 doors down from our place and, yes, I can get 5 loads of laundry done at once, but I hate, hate, hate the fact that I have to pay money for doing a household chore that I hate doing in the first place! At the beginning of this month I went to the bank and got $50 in quarters and it better last through September, because I will NOT pay more than $50 to get laundry done unless I'm paying someone else to do it for me.
- NO garbage disposal. You know what they say, you never appreciate something until it's gone. So, if you have a garbage disposal go to your sink right now, turn on the water, and flip the switch to give that puppy a crank for me. I never knew how annoying soggy, leftover cereal could be until I couldn't just wash it down the sink. Claire has been banned from cereal in the morning due to her tendency to never finish a bowl.
- And I will never get used to Sundays in Berkeley. Our ward is far from conventional. I am starting to look forward to the riveting theological debates in Sunday School and Relief Society, but I will never get used to the many women who wear pants. That's it, call me "old-fashioned!" (and if you happen to be one of those women who does wear a pair of trousers or culottes, please don't take offense and stop coming. Better to come to church in pants than stay at home in a dress, I always say)
And this is the view from the park that overlooks the bay. It was a gorgeous day today!
8 comments:
I'm with ya sister!
We can do anything for 2 years...right? I have to tell my self that EVERYDAY!
When I go to someone's house with a garbage disposal...yea, I like to turn it on...for entertainment!
I can't blame you one bit for hating to pay for a chore as detestable as laundry. I guess technically I have to pay to do my laundry too-- it just comes with the monthly water and electric bill! As for the garbage disposal, would you believe that my mom raised 10 kids with no garbage disposal?! I had no idea how wonderful they were until I got married and moved out. :)
I hope you are having fun!!!
First, can I say that you cannot be a "faux mother" and do dishes for a family of four by hand. That right there (and the fact that you have no disposal) makes you exempt from canning and sewing Halloween costumes. Also, I am so proud of how flexible with the car thing you have become. We do love your "race car". Finally, what a cool park to have a train like that!...it was a train, right?
I love that you started a blog... how fitting for your Berkeley days. :)
Even though it isn't fun to live the student life, we have a lot of fun and we're so glad you're here!
loved the updates! despite some hardships, it can be exciting getting used to a new place (especially when you know it's temporary). can't wait for all the berkeley stories!
Kelli Barrett! How are you? It's been at least a decade since I've seen you. I just found you through Janelle's blog. What cute kiddies you have.
So you're in Norcal? Tim and I are hoping that's where we end up next summer. There are plenty of jobs in our respective fields out there, so our fingers are crossed some offers come.
P.S. Your Berkely ward sounds like a dream to me. I'm the lone liberal in our AZ ward here...but I try to behave myself :)
Hey Kelly!! I just found your blog, I hope you don't mind that I am subscribing to it! I'm with you on the Berkeley stories... except that you can be grateful for over 1,000 square feet!! We're living right next to campus in a 600-something square foot apartment, two kids!! We have our benefits, though... close to campus, and a dishwasher AND disposal!! But seriously. 600-something square foot. And I SWEAR I get $100 from the bank every other month for laundry, it is THE WORST. I used to take out $50.00 but finally got sick of going in so often. Anyways, fun blog, and I hope you don't stop telling the Berkeley stories!! I found that I stopped telling them because so many Berkeley people read my blog so I didn't want to hurt feelings, but it's nice to hear you say it!!
Post a Comment