Finally, life has reached some semblance of normalcy. Alex went back to school today -- YIPPEE!! As I alluded to in the last entry Alex had a tonsillectomy last Wednesday. I am afraid I was a tad bit too optimistic about this latest surgery. He's had 8 you know -- not tonsillectomies, just total surgeries -- and my little boy has proved to be a fighter and a fast healer. So when the pre-surgery documents said that "recovery from a tonsillectomy lasts from one week to two weeks, depending on the health and age of your child" I, of course, assumed Alex's recovery would be 2 to 3 days. I even assumed he would be back to school last Friday -- only 2 days after the surgery. Funny, funny, joke on me. And everything was manageable until the official caregiver (Dad) went back to school on Tuesday and Alex was NOT any better. In fact, he seemed worse. I even called and insisted on speaking to the surgeon insisting that this recovery was abnormal and Alex was in too intense of pain. I was talked down to and patronized and after the discussion I'm afraid I am officially considered a "high-strung mother." I wouldn't be surprised if that term is entered into Alex's medical file...."cute kid and all, but watch out for his high-strung mother!" (Oh, and did I mention that I ended up on the gurney next to his in the recovery room with an oxygen mask attached to my face? I'll blame it on my condition and the fact that Alex puked up dried blood 5 times. So in the medical file it will probably state "high-strung mother who is a fainter.) But I believe it is all behind us. When Alex woke up today at 9:45 (not a record for him, but a sign of a good catch-up on lost sleep) he had a twinkle in his eye. I was worried that his tonsils were equivalent to Samson's hair and that without them he would never be happy again. He had been moping around the house and staring off into space for the past week. And when he wasn't moping he was crying out in pain or mad with frustration. But the twinkle is back, he did great at school, and he is back to his old tricks of coming up with every excuse not to go to bed at this very moment. Another milestone in Alex's health saga has been reached. Hey, by the time he reaches adulthood we could have almost every part of his body removed or replaced at this rate.
5 comments:
My goodness..EIGHT?? That is a ton! What a good sport. I love that little guy. I am glad he is feeling normal again. I feel bad no one was there to help...are you sure you like California?? I love you guys!
Oh my...I had no idea he was even having surgery! What a guy!
And you're so normal...any mother would have freaked out and needed oxygen! :)
Everyone told me that it only took their kids 2-3 days to recover from tonsil surgery, but it took Josh the full 2 weeks (the longest the doctor said it could possibly take). An experience I would rather not remember. I'm glad it's behind you. And hey, you have every right to be to be a "high-strung" mother, they are the best kind. :D
too bad you didn't have a picture of you next to him in the oxygen mask :). i'm glad you're over the hump!
Oh Kelli! I had no idea you were going through all this! Every time I see you, you're always smiling and happy. You need to stop! :) I'm so glad he's doing better. Do you need to come over and sing some more Mamma Mia? I still have it!
Post a Comment